Thursday, April 30, 2009

Just A Guess

The head gasket. Dammit.

I was able to put 0.6L of oil in to get it to "full," this morning, meaning all but 0.4L had leaked out (btw, an oil change is almost exactly 0.9L... a bit remains in the crankcase). While it was relatively "dry," I was able to more closely pinpoint the leak. It's definitely on the left side of the engine, near the front of the clutch/variator cover. So, I suspect the head gasket has failed on the bottom side, allowing a lot of oil to come out.

Tuesday night, I rode it pretty hard. Took the interstate to the east side of town, which I rarely do, but the weather was awesome, and I wanted to open it up a bit. I'm guessing that's when it blew.

The only good news: The head gasket can be replaced with the engine still in the frame.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment