Thursday, March 18, 2010

Cucumber? Not Quite Yet.

Photo courtesy of FreeFoto.com (Creative Commons).

The whole overheating issue has been vexing me this month. I've been cautiously riding, pulling over and shutting it off whenever the gauge stayed at full-on HOT for more than a couple of minutes. Granted, most of my rides are 1-3 miles, so this hasn't been much of an issue... but on rides to the shop (~10 miles), I've had to stop midway, and sit for 15 minutes or so before continuing.

The symptoms pointed towards a bad thermostat -- one that would barely open at all. Replacing the thermostat today seemed at first to resolve the issue, but then I decided to really put it to the test. After five miles of issue-free riding, I hit the interstate. After a few minutes, I was again at full-on HOT, and pulled to the shoulder to let it cool, have a cigarette, and contemplate my next move.

UPDATE: Rode back into East Nashville for Josh Matthews's gig @ Drifters and back, tonight, using only surface roads (45mph, max), and only touched full-on HOT a couple of times for a few seconds... so something has improved, it would seem. I'm thinking there's air in the system. Will look into that tomorrow, since I have to pull the cowl back off anyway -- dumbass me forgot to plug the front turn indicators back in, today).
.

No comments:

Post a Comment