Sunday, March 25, 2012

Sometimes, You Run Across...

... someone who looks like they need a laugh, and sometimes the perfect thang pops into your head to get them there.

You know when you walk into a store and are confronted with a clerk with this expression [above]? Like you know the clerk isn't going to speak first, greet you, ask if they can help you, etc.

Well, I got this just now at the gas station. It was a black woman, maybe a few years younger than me, and this was her exact expression. I stood there, a slight smile, as usual, waiting to see if she would say anything... like maybe, "You ready?" or anything at all. It never came.

So, in my best Mitt Rmoney exaggerated whitebread voice, enunciating every syllable to a ridiculous degree, I say, "Well, hello there, and good day! I would very much like to fuel up my motorbike on pump #3, please!"

The smile on her face slowly spread until she suppressed a laugh near the end. Still smiling, she shook her head slowly, took my card and said, "You're playin' with me." I closed my eyes and nodded, smiling.

"Have a good rest of the day, baby," she said, as she handed back my card.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment